For the families in the Victoria area who read my blog, here’s a great list of places to go with your children all on the Saanich Peninsula. There’s no shortage of things to do and places to explore. Here are ten spots that won’t disappoint!
Due to the Coronavirus, some of these places will be closed but MANY are out in nature and still available to you during this time of social distancing.
- B.C. Aviation Museum The museum restores aircraft, displays engines and aircraft models. You will learn about the history of aviation in British Columbia.
- Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea Experience marine life and learn about the Salish Sea Bioregion. Take a walk down to nearby Glass Beach afterwards.
- Tulista Park offers a fenced playground and a sheltered picnic area. You can take a walk along the seawall or nearby beach.
- Victoria Butterfly Gardens provides a tropical experience with more than just butterflies. Frogs, flamingos, tortoises, large iguanas and free flying birds inhabit the gardens.
- Butchart Gardens includes walking pathways into the sunken garden, the Italian garden and the Japanese garden. There is a carousel for children and plenty of space to roam.
- Victoria Airport is a great place to go and watch the planes take off and land. There is an upstairs viewing area just for this purpose. Or bring your bikes and ride around the airport bike path.
- Coles Bay includes a winding nature trail and a protected bay where there are opportunities to explore the seashore, picnic and bird watch.
- Island View Beach is a long sandy beach, great for picnics, exploring, and finding driftwood.
- Panorama Recreation Centre provides opportunities for skating, swimming and a host of recreation programs for the family.
- The Roost Farm Bakery provides tours where you can learn about their bee program, visit chickens and sheep, see a giant pumpkin carriage, and eat bakery treats on a converted bus.
A few extra outdoor spots to try: Todd Inlet, Reay Creek, Shoal Harbour Migratory Bird Sanctuary, Dominion Brook Park, Horth Hill, Bear Mountain, Elk Lake, Galloping Goose Trail, and Mt. Work. We are so incredibly lucky to have all these beautiful trails and outdoor spaces. Enjoy the ones near to your home.
What are your favourite places to take your children in your home town? Share in the comments!
Sign up for my newsletter and learn about release dates, pre-orders and free offers.
Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are welcome here any time!